Hi there!

Hi there!

Monday, December 8, 2014

Lifestyle of the Poor and Shameless: How I Wear J. Crew on a Walmart Budget


You know, being "basic" is really expensive these days.

(I don't think this word means what you think that it means, kids).


I know that some girls really pride themselves on how much they spend on their clothes and accessories (and good for them).  Not this girl, though.  No, I really really pride myself on how much I do NOT spend on my clothes.

Don't let the fact that I do not wear makeup fool you, I do actually care about my appearance.
Don't let the title of this article fool you, I do like nice things.  I simply have a knack for getting what I want at ridiculously low prices.

My secrets?
1. Know sales patterns (for instance, Bub and I always always always go to Banana Republic the day after Christmas because the sales are top-notch that day).
2. Do not just shop sales at retailers! Shop (sales) at consignment stores!
3. Know the value of fabrics.  For instance, I love J. Crew, but their fabrics tend to run on the thin side, and wear out too fast (especially for their retail prices).  Thus, when I buy J. Crew stuff, I buy it at consignment shops, often still with the original tags.  This provides sufficient justification for purchasing stylish pieces that may only endure one or two seasons.

My personal shopping philosophy?
If it costs more than like $15, it really needs to wow me.  I can do some major damage with $15.

Oh, yea of little faith.  Enough words... let me just show you how you could (and should) be shopping.  Here are some examples of inexpensive Fall and Holiday outfits that will make you jealous:

My favorite casual looks...

J. Crew school boy blazer (consigned): $11.50
Talbots top (consigned, with original tags): $3.75
Gap jeans (retail): $14
Arturo Chiang boots- yet to purchase (consigned): $34.99

J. Crew camel hair jacket (consigned): $15
J. Crew angora sweater (consigned): $18
BCBG leggings: gift/ FREE
J. Crew flats (consigned): $16

Chico's jacket (consigned): $14
Sam Edelman booties (consigned): $24


J. Crew blazer (consigned): $18
Banana Republic top (retail): $13


When I'm feeling fancy...

Shine brand dress (consigned): $8.50
Martinez Valero shoes (consigned): $2

Ann Taylor top (consigned): $9.50
Black lace Worth brand skirt (consigned): $12
Loft sparkle tights (outlet purchase): $1
Nine West booties (consigned): $7.50

No label dress (consigned): $12

Gap dress (consigned): $2
Franco Sarto heels (consigned): $2

Old Navy dress (consigned): $5

As the Holidays approach, you will likely buy outfits for winter weddings, Christmas parties, New Year's Eve, and functional clothes that will help you survive the next winter apocalypse.  As I'm sure that you, like me, are trying to save up for a perfect gift for your Cute Grandma, I would recommend that you give consignment shopping a try.

Note: $4-$15 complete outfits isn't something you will be able to score each and every time, but $30-$45 per outfit is both reasonable, realistic, and cheaper than Walmart or Forever 21! 

Consignment shopping offers you the freedom to try things you wouldn't normally consider, gives you the thrill of the hunt, and most importantly allows you to make GUILT FREE purchases.  What more could a girl want in a shopping trip?

Ladies, to reiterate: you won't get to my level right away, but eventually if you train hard enough, you too can boast fabulous $4 outfits.  When you arrive there, you will have my permission to reward yourself for your frugality with a nice investment handbag.  The Tory Burch featured above was purchased (you guessed it) consigned for $111, original retail around $395.

Special thanks to Connie Broomhall, Kaye Hunt, and the ladies at the Upscale Retail Shoppes of Stephen Lawrence, LTD and Apres Vous for allowing me to take photographs at their Broadway and Moore Drive locations. Make sure to visit them soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment