Hi there!

Hi there!

Thursday, February 5, 2015

Jesus Took the Wheel-- Off my Tire

On Wednesdays I leave my house at 7:30am, work for 7.5 hours, drive an hour through traffic to Richmond, have 5 hours of class, then commute home at 10pm.  Talk about a long day, right?!


Yesterday I was driving home from Richmond, and wasn’t even halfway back when my car started to sound more like an airplane than a car.  Yikes.  I pulled over to the tiny shoulder which in itself was a scary feat, and opened my door to see if I could tell what was going on.  It was pretty easy to figure out the issue… my back tire on the driver’s side was gone.  Not flat, gone.  There was literally no black stuff, just a hubcap.  HOW DOES THAT EVEN HAPPEN?!


Backstory, the microphone on my iPhone 4 has not worked for a couple of weeks now, so people can’t hear me during calls.  I went to my phone company twice to see about getting it fixed, but they wanted to charge me $99 to replace a phone that I have had insurance on for a year and a half and is like 6 models old.  You know how thrifty I am… out of principle, I just left with my broken phone.


YOU SEE THE PREDICAMENT THIS CAN CREATE WHEN YOU ARE A YOUNGISH FEMALE, STRANDED ALONE IN THE PITCH DARK ON A NARROW SHOULDER OF THE INTERSTATE AT !0PM.  


At this point, I remember there are such a thing as flashers and that I should use them.  I didn’t have emergency lights until about two weeks ago when my Best Friend’s Husband decided to be great and completely clean out my car for me.  When he did that, he found the button for the flashers and put it back on for me-- previous owner had taken it off for some reason.  SCORE.


Guys, my phone worked.  I needed it to work, and it worked.  So I called AAA, and they told me how much it would be to start an account and use same day service (an extra charge) to have someone come put the donut in my trunk on for me.  Again… I’m thrifty.  So I called my roommate to see if she and her boyfriend could come assist before signing up for AAA.  


While my roommate and her boyfriend are in route to save me, a nice gentleman from the KY Transportation Cabinet shows up and tells me that it’s his job to “drive around and look for nice people like you to help, free of charge.”  That’s exactly what he did.  He told me that my donut was flat, and proceeded to fill it with air.  By the time my roommate and her boyfriend got there, he was mostly finished.  Talk about a blessing.


My roommate’s boyfriend pointed out that if it would have happened to my front tire, I could have been injured since I have front-wheel drive… which reminded me that I just had my tires rotated, so just a little while ago, that tire was a front tire.  SCORE


From there:
  1. Two seconds after posting a fb status, my Big Sister offered me her car for today.  I really must admit (again) that I have never done anything to deserve her.
  2. Because studying to be a lawyer doesn't keep her busy enough, my roommate offered to take my card and car to get two new tires for me today. She's a real MVP.
  3. People from all over the state texted me about coming to save me. THANKS!


Yesterday should have been a bad day, but to be honest, it was really pretty amazing.  It took less than 30 minutes for this whole problem to be resolved, and I got to see miracle on miracle.  My thrifty-ness was rewarded instead of punished, so I can continue to be generous in other ways.  I was reminded just how generous and loving my friends are, and how good strangers can be.  Last but not least, I was reminded that God really does work for the good of those who love him.  It’s not lost on me, kids.

Goosebumps!

No comments:

Post a Comment