Hi there!

Hi there!

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Happiness is the Best Revenge

As a preface, the majority of the people in my life have always made me feel like I could do absolutely anything... and beyond that, the majority of people make me feel like whatever I’m doing is the greatest concept they’ve ever heard of.  I’m spoiled, and that’s not lost on me.   

This is a story of one of three instances in my childhood where a non-related adult led me to feel inadequate for a hot second... or a few seconds.  Or years.  To ruin the ending, I’m left feeling empowered.  And Dumbledore dies at the end of the 6th Harry Potter (yes, I still use that joke to cut tension… judge me).  

In my 25 years, I have had numerous career aspirations.  Really, just so many.  My 16-18 year old self had lofty goals of being a professional journalist.  I went from wanting to be an Editor for a newspaper one day to being the Senior Editor at Vogue the next.  Either/or, really. I think that of all of my career aspirations, aside from my current pursuits of being a guidance counselor, this one made the most sense.  I’m inquisitive and spunky and long-winded… the best traits of a writer.    

I started my journey as a writer my sophomore year of high school when I joined the newspaper staff at South Oldham High School. I was the likely candidate to be the Editor my junior year.  Then, of course, my family moved.  Thanks, family.  

After crying about all of this to my new guidance counselor, he managed to get me a spot on the newspaper at my new school.  He also offered me a spot on the cheerleading team, and whatever else I wanted to stop the crying… teen angst at its very finest.  

I had loved my first newspaper staff, but I really loved my second one.  It was like a real life version of the Breakfast Club, come to life at Oldham County Senior High School.  I loved the quirky assortment of kids on the staff, I loved the feeling of “home” in the newsroom, I loved being around teenagers sharing their creative ideas, I loved putting my (overly nice but) bossy pants on to help get things done, and even more than that I loved writing.  

photo (6).JPG
My Newspaper Girls

photo (5).JPG
The Very Best Newspaper Staff Ever

I decided that I should be the Editor my senior year, and just kind of assumed that would happen.  But I didn’t get it.  I got whatever title they call the #2 guy.  Welcome to politics, little Jessica...  you get used to it.  

**Note: this has nothing to do with the person who did get the editor spot, and everything to do with me.  She was fabulous.  

If we are going to be honest, I didn’t take the news so well.  I yelled, yes YELLED, at my newspaper teacher (who I had never really liked anyway).  She yelled back, and told me in so many words that I didn’t have what it took to be an Editor.  Very juvenile on both of our parts, with the difference being that I actually was a juvenile. The day following this yelling match, she left a letter on my desk.  

To re-hash a part of said letter:

Listed below are criteria I consider when filling the editor position:
Leadership
Honesty
School involvement
Idea development
Ability to avoid conflict and gossip
Commitment
Innovation
Dependability
Rapport with staffers
Initiative
Drive

While I do believe that you possess many of these qualities, I feel that others may need more cultivation before an editorship may be pursued.  

She probably didn’t realize that she had crushed me, but she had.  I have kept the letter all of these years to look at when I  need motivation to kick some ass.  It’s a  very effective method.  

You will not be astonished to know that I was not unhappy when she announced that she was leaving.  A fabulously supportive teacher replaced her… instead of snarky typed messages, she left stylish purses and encouraging letters on my desk.  I just loved that lady, and am still so thankful for her.  Oldham County Board of Education, give Joan Thompson a raise!  Maybe two!

photo (4).JPG
Happy Birthday, Joan!

Fast forward to college… I got a partial scholarship for journalism at UK, and started off with that as my major.  For some reason, I decided not to take any journalism classes and after my first semester I switched my major to psychology.  Game over.                                                

It has been 7.5 years since that lady left a letter on my desk, 6 years since I wrote off being a journalist, and 4 months since I started my blog and took back something I used to love.  

I would wager that I will neither be an Editor of a newspaper or the Senior Editor at Vogue (unless you are hiring… I’m available immediately).  However, I am really loving this blog thing I’m doing.  Blogging means I can write what I want, when I want.  No one has to sign off on my posts before I put them all over the internet.  No one else gets credit for my ideas.  No politics involved.  I don’t  have to build “rapport” with anyone.  No pressure to get readers, because I am still pretty shocked if anyone other than my best friend reads what I post.  Really, I make her read most things before I post, so I’m even surprised if she clicks on my links (thanks, lovebub).  I think the only reason I don’t fall off my couch when I see that I have hundreds of readers per post is because my couch has developed such a big trench from prolonged sitting.  

Rose Colored Glasses is no Vogue, but it makes me just as happy and, if I so choose, I can wear gold dresses while I write…. or pajamas.  I’m really winning here.  Take that, former teacher lady!

No comments:

Post a Comment